This recipe happened totally by accident. I was on a trip in Chattanooga, Tennessee with my boyfriend wandering around downtown looking for a coffee shop. When we finally found one, I was keen on getting a pastry to compliment my coffee, and I ended up getting a donut. However, at the bottom of the bakery case I saw a sad little pastry dubbed an ‘everything bagel pop tart.’ I thought what a genius idea! I needed to do this everything bagel pop tart justice, and this recipe is just that – justice!
1 tbsp Mendocino Spices Black Sesame Seeds
1 tbsp Mendocino Spices Hulled Sesame Seeds
1 tbsp Mendocino Spices Poppy Seeds
3 tbsp Mendocino Spices Montreal seasoning
Mendocino Spices All-Purpose seasoning, to taste
2 green onions finely chopped
8 oz cream cheese
1 package puff pastry
– Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
– Whisk together Mendocino Spices black and hulled sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and Montreal seasoning. Set aside.
– Whip together green onion and cream cheese with a hand or stand mixer. Season to taste with Mendocino Spices All-Purpose seasoning.
– With a pizza cutter, slice puff pastry vertically in thirds, and then cut the thirds in half, horizontally.
– You should have 12 square pieces of puffy pastry to make 6 pop tarts. Scoop less than 1/4 cup of cream cheese mixture on a puff pastry, and layer another puff pastry square on the top.
– Press edges down with a fork and gently transfer to a greased baking sheet.
– Whisk together egg and a splash of water. Baste the pop tarts with the egg mixture and follow with a generous sprinkle of everything bagel seasoning.
– Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until browned. Serve warm and enjoy for breakfast or as a snack!